Friday, June 12, 2015

pinching some pennies & shining them too; part 2

Up next is a home made (and all natural) Stainless Steel Cleaner! I tried two different "recipes" out. 




The first one was simple! Cooking Oil! 


1. Do they clean as well as store bought cleaning products?
I don't find store bought Stainless Steel Cleaners to be all that, so I felt that if it wasn't better it was the same. 

2. Will they actually cost less than store bought cleaning products?
Sure! Of course some oils are cheaper than others, I used Canola Oil which is inexpensive. Plus I didn't need a lot.

3. Will they kill germs?
No, but neither do the store bought ones. 


4. Will they smell good? 

It didn't smell good or bad. 

5. How long will it take to make them?
No time at all!

Bottom Line
This did shine up my SS, but there were a few issues. For one thing, my dogs kept going over to my dish washer and licking it. Secondly, if your stainless steel had any grime on it's surface it would just smear it all over. So it wasn't actually cleaning it. The plus side is that it does protect my stainless steel from rusting. 



The Second Recipe





Recipe:
1/2 c. vinegar
2 tbs. baking soda

**Put in spray bottle, and do not put lid back on until the bubbles subside**


1. Do they clean as well as store bought cleaning products?
Same as above! 

2. Will they actually cost less than store bought cleaning products?
Yes! Vinegar and baking soda are so inexpensive! 

3. Will they kill germs?
As we learned before vinegar doesn't really kill germs, but I am confident that it is a better cleaner than the store bought stainless steel cleaners. 


4. Will they smell good? 

No! I dislike the smell of vinegar very much, but I only smelled it when I actually cleaned the appliances. 

5. How long will it take to make them?
Less than a minute. 

Bottom Line
This actually cleaned my stainless steel and surprisingly made it shiny! However, if you don't wipe really good it can leave a film when it dries. So, make sure you rub it in good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment