Tuesday, July 28, 2015

sad & blue with nothing to do?

Lately I have been feeling a little down in the dumps.  I was getting jealous of my husband for showering without rushing, being able to leave the house without packing up 3 bags & a baby, and even because he "got to go to work"! I sat down with my husband and explained to him how hard it is, mentally, to be home all day. I realized that there were days when I didn't do anything except try to make my son happy.  My husband made me realize that I need to sometimes put the baby down and do what I need to do. So, that has been my goal over the past week. I have been letting my son cry it out- lord help me because it breaks my heart- while I did something that made me feel good.  At first I thought to myself what on Earth can I do when I have no money.  I am sure a lot of SAHM have this same dilemma so I complied a list of things to do that cost basically nothing!



  • Clean something: I am not talking about the normal things we have to clean like the dishes and bathrooms. Clean something that will make think "ahh I am so glad I did that!" This week I cleaned my car, my son's stroller, and my entire living room (the fun part is that I rearranged my furniture). 
  • Clean out that refrigerator & pantry: I don't mean with a sponge and I don't mean throw away old food! I mean what do you have in there that you can make something special & different. I had a ton of jalapeños in my refrigerator so I made pickled jalapeños and jalapeño hot sauce. I also had some leftover strawberries, cream cheese & heavy whipping cream so I made vanilla cupcakes with whipped strawberry cream cheese frosting.  You don't have to be creative to do this either! Take a look at what you have and google your ingredients with the word "recipe" after it. 9 times out of 10 you'll get an interesting recipe what will not only occupy your brain, but it'll get rid of the ingredients in your refrigerator that may have been thrown away. 
  • Polish your piggies- Who doesn't have a bottle of nail polish sitting around? Self pampering can feel just as refreshing as spending a day at the spa. Currently I have pink toes. :)
  • Pick a new book: Well, you're probably thinking that books cost money. Here's a secret... go to BookBub and signup RIGT NOW.  It takes 2 minutes and you totally won't regret.  They send you an email of book deals that may interest you based on what you tell them when you sign up.  I usually get a free book downloaded to my kindle app everyday. It's awesome and I feel like getting lost in a book is the best way to relax & unwind. Don't have a kindle? Download their free app to your iPhone, iPad, or phone and read your ebooks on there! 
  • Pickup that camera: About a week before I left my job I begged my husband for a fancy camera.  I have always had an interest in photography and I felt like I needed a hobby. It's a great hobby to have because there is always something/ someone (like our little cuties) to take a picture of.  I spent good portion of the day taking picture of my four legged babies and my little man. What I love about taking pictures is that I really see how much better I get each time I use my camera. I also love to learn techniques and new ways to use my camera. I do a lot of photography research! 
  • Take a coffee break- There is something about a sweet little cup of tea or coffee that makes me feel warm & happy. It doesn't even have to be hot! I have been making homemade frappuccinos with leftover cold coffee. Drinking them is one story, enjoying them is another! I made it a mission to enjoy them this week.  
  • Get outside: Yeah, yeah, yeah... I am sure that you've heard this 100 times, but sometimes just going outside to water my plants and tend to my chickens makes me feel awesome. Walks are great too, especially because it helps get little ones to sleep.  
  • Write! You don't need to write anything fancy or even anything that anyone will ever see.  I find when I have a lot on my mind, writing it out makes me feel better. It's like someone is listening and not judging me or trying to lessen my burdens. (Yes, I know others have it worse, but it doesn't make my troubles any less heavy in my heart!)

The hardest part of all of this was letting my son cry it out. It isn't easy, but sometimes our mental stability is more important.  If were not happy it's hard to enjoy our children.  

What do you like to do with your spare time? I'd love to hear from you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment