Tuesday, August 11, 2015

setting the record straight

As you know I am a big advocate of breastfeeding.  I had the opportunity to speak with a local news paper for National Breast-Feeding Awareness Month.  The first thing I said to my husband was "I can't wait to blog about it!"  So here it is!: South Jersey moms promote breastfeeding from the start

I was so excited to tell my story about nursing my son because I, like many other moms, experienced pain and difficulties in the beginning of my journey.  Breastfeeding isn't easy!  The article was posted online prior to being ran in the paper.  As you see in the link above it was titled  South Jersey moms promote breastfeeding from the start. I was shocked when I saw it run in the papers because it was titled "Shunning the Bottle."  


First, if I had known that it was titled as such I would have never agreed to speak with anyone because I don't shun the bottle! In fact, my son has had multiple bottles because before I was a work at home mom, I was a full-time banker and I had to pump at work and my son had bottles.

Secondly, half of my words were taken out of context. The reporter asked me if there was anything else I'd like to add before the interview ended. I said, yes! I'd like to add that just because I openly discuss and support breastfeeding doesn't mean that I put down those who decide on different feeding methods.  I'm happy to see moms caring for their children, and just because a baby receives formula and a bottle doesn't mean that they are doing something wrong.

I'd like to share with you WHY I discuss breastfeeding openly. I share because I didn't have it easy. It wasn't that I just had thrush and it sucked. That was one of the easier issues I experienced.  In the beginning, Harry would feed every other hour. Do you have any idea how exhausting that is? No I couldn't have anyone else feed him so I could sleep a little longer because if I did I would've woken up in terrible pain. My son had a small pallet, so even when he was latched correctly he made my toes curl.  I had an over supply, so even when I finished feeding my newborn baby FINALLY fell asleep, I had to stay up and pump or else I put myself at risk for infection and set myself up for a lot of pain.  My son literally, chewed (without teeth) part of my nipple off.

So, I choose to talk about breastfeeding because I want to cheer those moms on that decide that they want to do it! I will not apologize to anyone for feeding my son in public, and I will not apologize for discussing my greatest accomplishment. I will also not stand for seeing any mom put down in any way for how they decide to feed their children. 




No comments:

Post a Comment